Long hot sunny summer days call for popsicles! All you need is a set of popsicle molds or you can even use paper cups and popsicle sticks, which although I haven’t tried myself, I’ve heard works. It’s a great way to use up leftover smoothies, try new and exciting ice cream flavors, or you could throw in simple combos such as fruits and yogurt or even fruits and coconut water! If you have kids this is a great way to get them excited about eating more fruits and yes you can sneak in vegetables too 😉
My smoothies and popsicles often times have some kind of veggie hidden inside LOL. This time it’s cauliflower disguised as Mocha Almond Popsicles!! I know this might sound like a crazy idea, but believe me, it works! If you’ve ever tried a solid cauliflower smoothie recipe, you’re probably nodding along with me at this point 😀 Adding frozen cauliflower to smoothies is my newest obsession since it results in a thick and creamy texture without adding a weird aftertaste when done right!
Now, why do we even want to add cauliflower? Wouldn’t the popsicles taste much better without it? Well, probably yes, but we’re not adding it for the taste, but primarily for its impressive array of nutrients and health benefits. Cauliflower is a member of the cruciferous family, high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other disease-fighting phytochemicals. Just one serving of cauliflower contains 77% of the recommended daily value of vitamin C. It’s also a good source of vitamins K, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and manganese. It can help strengthen immune function, reduce inflammation, boost heart health, support liver’s natural detoxification pathways, and even fight cancer! (1) Wouldn’t you want to reap all these benefits while enjoying a rich and chocolaty treat like this?!? I know I would!
If you have trouble digesting cauliflower in its raw state, try steaming and see if that makes a difference. I’ve been adding it to all kinds of different smoothie and popsicle combos-with berries, banana, chocolate, coconut, and in this case mocha-and can’t wait to share all the delicious recipes with you! Hope you get to try and enjoy these decadent mocha popsicles as much as we did! Don’t forget to leave a comment below or tag me @nutriholist on Instagram or Facebook and let me know!
Mocha Almond Popsicles Recipe
- 1 and 1/2 cups cauliflower (raw or steamed)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 scoop instant coffee (I used one with reishi and cordyceps mushrooms)
- 1 ripe banana (small)
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, chopped or slivered
- If using steamed cauliflower, let it cool down to room temperature. Throw all ingredients (minus coating) into a high-power blender and blend until smooth
- Pour into popsicles molds and freeze for 45-60 minutes or until partially frozen. Then insert popsicle sticks. (If sticks are not
staying, freeze for an additional 15 minutes and try again.) Freeze until firm, for about 4 hours
- Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat and place the almonds in a shallow bowl. Use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over popsicles and immediately roll each popsicle in almonds to coat. (The chocolate will solidify in a few seconds since the popsicles are at freezing temperature, so make sure to coat them in almonds before this happens otherwise the almonds might fall off). Enjoy!