Smoothies have been a significant part of my life for the past 5-6 years. They are my go-to breakfast, post-workout snack, and sometimes even dinner when I’m in a rush or too tired to make anything else. After tons and tons of experimentation, I wanted to share with you a few simple tips to help take your smoothies to the next level.
1. Add a piece of fresh ginger and a quarter of a whole organic lemon (skin and rind included) for a kick of zing and zesty flavor. Ginger is a highly potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent that helps improve digestion and absorption and boosts immune function. Lemon peel contains as much as 5-10 times more vitamins than the lemon juice itself. It’s high in vitamins C, A, and folate, phytochemicals such as beta-carotene, and minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
2. Add 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds, ground flax seeds, and/or hemp hearts to make your smoothies more filling and nutritious. These miraculous seeds are high in complete plant-based protein and omega-3 fatty acids that reduce inflammation and support heart health. You need to grind flax seeds because the hulls are so hard they’ll pass right through the body undigested if consumed whole. When the seeds are ground, the oil is exposed and highly susceptible to oxidative damage. So it’s best not to consume packaged flax meal which is often rancid and grind your own in small batches. You can use a spice mill, coffee grinder, or a mortar and pestle, and store it in an air-tight container in the fridge.
3. Add an avocado or frozen fruits such as banana, mango or berries to get a thick creamy texture. Plus avocados are another great source of healthy fats that help stabilize your blood sugar and keep you full for longer.
Now, it’s time to put these tips to good use through a delicious and nutritious smoothie recipe that has become my new favorite lately. Hope you get to try it soon! What is your favorite smoothie combo at the moment? Please share in the comments or tag me @nutriholist on Instagram or Facebook and let me know.
Zesty Mango Carrot Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 organic lemon (with peel)
- 1 and 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1 cup water
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend for about a minute until completely smooth
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!