Snickers bar, how I love thee!!! The soft nougat layer, the rich peanut butter caramel center, crunchy peanuts on top, and best of all the chocolate coating that holds them all together.
There are so many drool-worthy combos out there, but honestly I don’t think anyone beats chocolate and peanut butter. It’s a match made in heaven, isn’t it?
So about time I made a healthier version of this childhood classic that’s free of all the nasty additives, refined sugar and oils, using minimal wholesome ingredients you probably already have at home. In fact, the bars you see right here are made with only 8 ingredients and require no baking!
The base is made with coconut flour, which is produced from ground and dried coconut meat. Coconut flour is gluten-free and is a delicious and healthy alternative to other flours. It’s high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats and low in sugar.
Then there’s the rich caramel center that includes only peanut butter, dates, and coconut oil. I also like to add a dash of sea salt, cause salted caramel beats caramel any day 😉
For the chocolate coating, you can either melt your favorite dark chocolate and dunk the bars into it or make a chocolate sauce using cacao powder, coconut oil, and maple syrup as I explain in the recipe below. Homemade chocolate sauce is usually thinner than melted chocolate, so I prefer to repeat this step and double dunk for a thicker chocolate coating.
I know you’re impatiently waiting for the recipe, so I won’t keep you here any longer 😉 Go try them for yourself and thank me later lol. Don’t forget to leave a comment below or tag me on your creations on Instagram or Facebook @nutriholist #nutriholist so I can see and share them. XO
Vegan Snickers Bars Recipe
Yields 7 large bars
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup peanuts (or more)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 3-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- Line a 5×8 inch dish with parchment paper
- For the Nougat Layer: Add all nougat ingredients into a food processor and process until you get a paste. Pour into the lined dish and smooth it out with a spatula. Place in the freezer
- For the Caramel Layer: Add all caramel ingredients into the food processor and process until smooth. Pour on top of the nougat layer, top with peanuts, and return to the freezer to set
- For the Chocolate Coating: Melt coconut oil over low heat in a small pot. Add the cacao powder and mix until there are no lumps. Add the maple syrup and sea salt and stir to combine
- Assemble: Remove the dish from freezer, lift out the parchment paper, and cut the batch into 7 large bars or 14 smaller ones. Dunk each bar into the liquid chocolate, flipping over to coat all side, then set aside on the parchment paper. You can repeat this process and double dunk for a thicker chocolate coating. Place bars into the freezer to harden. Remove them after 5-10 minutes and drizzle chocolate over them with a spoon to create a pattern, if desired. Return to the freezer to set. Enjoy and store remaining bars in the fridge
NOTE: Feel free to add more peanuts in the center for extra crunch. The ones in the photos above could definitely use more!