When I came across this fabulous olive and artichoke tart by Green Evi on Pinterest I knew I had to make it ASAP! The combination of salty kalamata olives, buttery artichoke hearts, sweet green peas, and a creamy white bean cashew base sounded too delicious to pass up!
The original recipe calls for puff pastry and I have to admit the idea of making a pie crust from scratch sounded too daunting to me at first. So I went to 3-4 different supermarkets looking for it, but couldn’t find a product with ingredients I would approve of! Here’s the list of ingredients from one of the most prominent brands out there:
As you can see above, GMO soy, hydrogenated vegetable oils, and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) were listed in all the frozen puff pastries and pie crusts I came across. I have a whole blog post dedicated to health risks of these additives, so be sure to check it out if you’d like to learn more!
Needless to say, I decided to make my own easy peasy no-fuss gluten-free crust using only 6 simple ingredients–including sea salt and water (so really more like 4 :). This crust recipe is perfect for anyone like me who finds the process of rolling out dough with a pin too labor-intensive! All you gotta do is mix the ingredients with your hands (or a mixer if you have one) and press it into a pie plate.
The filling includes white (navy) beans and cashews, which provide much-needed protein and fiber to keep us full and energized, as well vitamins and minerals like folate, manganese, copper, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc. But besides the amazing health benefits, these two magical ingredients help yield a smooth creamy base for the tart that complements the flaky crust perfectly.
I had a big bunch of fresh dill on hand, so I added it both into the filling and as garnish on top and loved the fresh spring-like flavor it added to the pie.
This would be the perfect meal to make for dinner parties since you can prepare it beforehand, store in the fridge, and bake in the oven for just 35 minutes or so after your guests arrive. Hope you get to try it soon. I know I will be making it over and over again!
Olive & Artichoke Tart with Buckwheat Crust
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 7 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup cashews, preferably soaked
- 1 15-oz can or 1 and 3/4 cup cooked white beans
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 2/3 cup artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- Handful of fresh dill, for garnish
- To make the crust: Mix the ground flax seeds with water until fully absorbed and viscous. (You can grind flax seeds in a spice or coffee grinder.)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate or line it with parchment paper and set aside
- In a medium bowl beat the flax seeds mixture and oil together. Then add coconut flour, buckwheat flour, and sea salt and mix until dough forms
- Press into the prepared pie plate and gently pierce the pie crust with a fork few times and bake for 10 minutes or until set
- To make the filling: Add all filling ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (I prefer to use my Vitamix since it yields a super smooth texture)
- To assemble: Pour the cashew-bean mixture onto the crust, then top with peas, artichoke hearts, and olives
- Bake for about 35 minutes at 400°F. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving, garnish with fresh dill, and enjoy!