Inspired by my recent trip to Italy, I set out to create a healthy affogato-like treat to snack on over the weekend. Affogato, meaning “drowned” in Italian, is a coffee-based dessert that takes the form of a scoop of vanilla gelato “drowned” in a shot of hot espresso.
Instead of a hot shot of espresso, I made a mocha shake using an instant coffee blend that includes cordyceps mushrooms to help boost the immune system and increase energy levels – both of which highly needed after a long flight and jetlag! I included flax seeds and hemp hearts to bump up the healthy fat and protein content and turn this delicious treat into a balanced nutritious snack that can keep you full and satisfied for hours.
Instead of vanilla gelato, I whipped up a chocolate nice cream cause chocolate makes everything better, right? I couldn’t help myself not adding any vegetables, so I sneaked in some frozen cauliflower that contributes to the creamy texture besides adding some precious nutrients. Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamin C and is also high in vitamin K, folate, B5, B6, fiber, and glucosinolates–sulfur-containing compounds that have been shown to protect cells from inflammation, cancer, and cardiovascular disease (1,2,3).
Hope you get to try and enjoy this healthy twist on affogato or whatever you want to call it! Don’t forget to leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram or Facebook @nutriholist and let me know what you think. XO
Mocha Nice Cream Shake
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 3 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 scoop instant coffee/cordyceps mushroom blend
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower (raw or steamed)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1-2 teaspoon(s) pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or water)
- Coconut flakes, toasted almond flakes, pistachios, raw cacao nibs, etc.
- Add the mocha shake ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a large cup and set aside
- Add the nice cream ingredients to a high-speed blender with a tamper or a food processor and blend until silky smooth. Scoop nice cream into the mocha shake, add toppings of choice, and enjoy!