As we move toward the colder months of the year, my body asks for more and more warming dishes, especially in the morning for breakfast. The recipe I’m going to share with you today is one of my clients and my own favorites, not only because of its aromatic spices and the sweet delicious taste, but also thanks to the amazing healing effects it has on the body.
The beautiful golden hue comes from the king of all spices, turmeric. I try to incorporate turmeric into my diet as much as possible since it’s one of the most amazing healing spices out there. I sprinkle it into my warm lemon water in the morning, add it to salad dressings, hummus, cooked beans, dips, sauteed onions and vegetables, soups, stews, curries, and of course in porridges like this one!
Turmeric has so many strong medicinal properties -especially thanks to its main healing compound curcumin- that there have been over 9000 peer-reviewed articles published on the benefits (1). Aside from its powerful anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric can relieve digestive distress, support detoxification, stabilize blood sugar, improve cognitive function and decrease the risk of cancer (2). Best of all, it’s been shown that you don’t need to consume a whole lot of it to reap from its astounding health benefits. Including as little as 1 teaspoon of turmeric a day over a period of several months can result in noticeable changes (3).
Research has shown that piperine -the key compound in black pepper that gives it that pungent flavor- can enhance the bioavailability and absorption of curcumin. Even just a tiny pinch of black pepper as little as 1/20th of a teaspoon can significantly boost absorption levels (4). Therefore, I always try to marry these two ingredients in recipes for maximum benefits 😉 I have also included cinnamon, which is another warming spice, perfect for fall and winter, that helps stabilize blood sugar and keep us focused and alert throughout the day.
Hope you try and enjoy this nourishing golden porridge. If you do, please comment below or share your creations with me on Instagram or Facebook @Nutriholist. Nothing makes me happier than when you remake and fancy my recipes!
Golden Quinoa Porridge Recipe
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron (optional)
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) raw honey
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Pinch of black pepper
- Toppings (optional): pecans, pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes
- Wash and rinse quinoa, add it to a small pot with fresh water, a pinch of sea salt and saffron (if using), and bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce heat to low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed
- Remove from heat, add in milk and rest of the ingredients (minus toppings) and stir to combine. Adjust sweetness to taste
- Serve warm with toppings of choice and enjoy!