Are you getting your 8-10 servings of vegetables and fruits?
One of my favorite ways to ensure I’m getting enough veggies is by having smoothies. Fruits, I love to eat on their own. But vegetables I prefer to get them either in smoothies or salads. My favorite go-to’s beside greens are frozen cauliflower and zucchini that add a smooth creamy texture to smoothies without a weird aftertaste when using a solid recipe.
Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamins C, K, B9, B5, B6 and also high in manganese, phosphorus, potassium, fiber, protein, and phytonutrients that help reduce inflammation and fight disease. Zucchini is a great source of copper, manganese, vitamins C, K, B9, B6, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, and potassium, with very little sugar and fat.
Most often when I talk to my clients about adding veggies to their smoothies I find them cringing and then nodding reluctantly. I usually won’t try to convince them and just hand them a few recipes – this divine chocolate cherry bowl included. I always LOVE their reaction the next day when they tell me how blown away they are by the taste and texture and how they start turning their family and friends into veggie-loaded smoothie eaters 😉
If you’re also on the fence and have never tried these vegetables in your smoothies before, this recipe is a great place to start! It tastes so decadent and chocolatey that even picky eaters would approve! Be sure to let me know your thoughts once you try it. Leave a comment below or tag me @nutriholist on your recreations on Instagram or Facebook. I would love to see and share them! XO
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower florets (raw or steamed)
- 1 cup frozen zucchini chunks (raw or steamed)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup cherries, pitted
- 2-4 dates, pitted
- 4 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons tahini or almond butter
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 4 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 cup water
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth
- Pour into a bowl and top with fruits, nuts, seeds, nut/seed butter, coconut flakes, raw cacao nibs, dark chocolate pieces, or other desired toppings. Enjoy!