I like to jazz up my smoothies from time to time by serving them in a bowl, sprinkled with a variety of delicious toppings. Here I have a blueberry maca smoothie bowl topped with more blueberries, raw pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, coconut flakes and goji berries. For the smoothie I blended blueberries with Greek yogurt, kefir, maca powder and raw honey. Vegans can opt for coconut or almond yogurt instead of Greek yogurt and kefir of course!
Maca is a nutritent-dense superfood that contains high amounts of minerals, vitamins, enzymes, up to 20 essential fatty acids, lipids, fiber, carbohydrates, protein and all of the essential amino acids. Maca root is rich in B vitamins and is considered a vegetarian source of vitamin B12. Maca has gained a reputation for helping balance hormones and is beneficial for all sorts of hormonal problems including PMS, menopause, and hot flashes. It also acts as a fertility enhancer and is well-known for improving libido & sexual function, especially in men.
Blueberry Maca Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 banana
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (coconut or almond yogurt for a vegan option)
- 1 cup kefir (more coconut or almond yogurt for a vegan option)
- ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) raw honey
- Toppings: more blueberries, raw pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, unsweetened coconut flakes and goji berries
- Blend the first 7 ingredients until smooth and transfer into a bowl
- Decorate with your desired toppings and enjoy!