Looking for a healthy delicious meal to enjoy during the holiday season that is full of flavor, yet light and nourishing? Well, look no further! This gluten-free plant-based spaghetti made with basil walnut pesto, romanesco broccoli, green chickpeas, and black bean noodles is packed with nutrients and flavor, but it’s also really easy and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare! I used Explore Asian Organic Black Bean Spaghetti, which I love because it’s only made out of 2 ingredients: organic black beans and water, and contains 25 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber per serving! (This is not a sponsored post by the way, I just really like this product!)
Served it with a fragrant pesto sauce, plus vegetables and pulses I had on hand, which happened to be romanesco broccoli and frozen green chickpeas. You can use whatever veggies you like or have available. Some of my favorites are mushrooms, peas, and broccoli. I like to make more of the pesto and store leftovers in the fridge to enjoy over the next few days. Some of my favorite ways to have it is mixed into salads, as a dip for vegetables, or slathered on toasted sourdough… yummm! Wishing you all a happy healthy holiday season!
Christmas Tree Spaghetti Recipe
- 8 ounces (227 grams) black bean spaghetti noodles
- 2 cups green chickpeas (I used frozen)
- 1 head of Romanesco broccoli, cut into florets
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt
- 2 cups packed fresh basil + extra handful to garnish
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Unrefined sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- PREPARE SPAGHETTI: Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add a generous pinch of salt, throw in the noodles and chickpeas and cook according to package instructions
- Two minutes before the time is up add in the Romanesco broccoli florets. Cook for 2 more minutes, then drain and set aside
- PREPARE PESTO: While preparing the noodles, throw all pesto ingredients in high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth
- ASSEMBLE: Mix the noodles and vegetables with pesto, garnish with fresh basil leaves and enjoy!
P.S. If you are feeling overwhelmed during the holidays and need someone to help you with your health, food and lifestyle choices without you ever feeling deprived, contact me for a FREE strategy session here.