You don’t often read winter and salad together, but I’ll tell you it’s the secret to staying healthy, happy, and nourished all winter long. Raw vegetables are rich in enzymes and vitamins that are easy to absorb and make digestion a breeze.
Sticking to seasonal vegetables for your winter salads is challenging, but not impossible. Both beets and kale are hearty winter vegetables that retain their tastiness and nutritional worth even through the harsh winter months. Pair that with some healthy fats from avocado and vitamin C from fresh lemons and you’ve got yourself a salad fit for a queen in the middle of January!
Here’s my absolute favorite winter salad recipe:
Red Beet Kale Salad with Lemon Garlic Tahini Dressing
- 1-2 large beets, steamed or roasted
- 1 cup baby kale or curly kale, chopped
- Handful of fresh basil leaves (OR 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon flax oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- FOR THE DRESSING: Stir all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until well mixed. Add a tiny splash of water if necessary
- FOR THE SALAD: Place a large pot with an inch of water on the stove over high heat. Place a metal steam basket inside. Chop the beets into quarters and place in the steam basket. Cover and steam the beets for about 10 to 12 minutes until they can be easily pricked with a fork
- Add the kale, basil, avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper to a large bowl. Use clean hands to massage the kale until all the ingredients are well mixed and the kale is wilted. Top with beets and pumpkin seeds, drizzle with the lemon garlic tahini dressing and enjoy!